The president stated he had instructed the pertinent federal government departments to permit religious groups and students to travel in direction of the communist-run island.
President Obama stated he believed the brand new, more peaceful, rules which also make it less difficult to deliver remittances to Cuba will help civil society there.
The changes will not finish the decades-old US trade embargo.
The rules will be modified to, among other issues:
* Enable religious organisation to sponsor religious travel to Cuba below a widespread licence
* Enable accredited institutions of increased schooling to sponsor travel to Cuba
* Enable any US person to deliver remittances (as much as $500 per quarter) to non-family members in Cuba to help personal financial activity
* Enable remittances to become sent to religious institutions in Cuba in help of religious routines
* Enable US airports to utilize to supply companies to licensed charters
In a very assertion, President Obama stated the changes had been aimed at creating "people-to-people" contacts through more academic, cultural and religious exchanges.
The moves follows an easing from the trade embargo in April 2009, once the president ordered curbs on remittances and travel by Cuban-Americans visiting family members members members on the island to become peaceful.
But Florida Republican Ileana Ros-Lehtinen stated the changes would not help improve the situation in Cuba.
"They will not make the Castro regime show respect for human rights, plus they certainly will not help the Cuban people free themselves from your despotic tyranny which oppresses them," she stated. see also
The changes are expected to arrive into force in roughly 3 weeks.